The Olympic Museum of Puerto Rico opened its doors for the first time in 1987, thanks to the contribution of Esso Standard Oil, as part of the educational vision of safeguarding and disseminating the sports achievements of Puerto Rico. With the passing of the years, the amount of information collected, both in objects and documents as well as in photographic material, led our institution to begin a process for the conceptualization of the Museum’s mission and goals, in order to expand its programs and services, as well as its exhibitions. The Museum has three thematic showrooms with more than 4,000 square feet of space. The first room presents 30 sports supported by the Olympic Committee of Puerto Rico and is dedicated to Eugenio Guerra Cruz, a race car driver, university trainer, and trainer of the national delegations for 28 years. The remaining two chambers exhibit our Olympic history during the Twentieth Century. They bear the names of : Julio Enrique Monagas (Director of the Government Office of Parks and Recreation from 1941 to 1965), and the Germán Rieckehoff Sampayo Chamber (First Puerto Rican member of the Olympic International Committee and President of the National Committee from 1977 to 1990).
The Museum is dedicated to the collection, preservation, documentation and promotion of Puerto Rican sports material through the permanent and temporary exhibitions for the educational benefit of the Puerto Rican people. Among the future plans of the Museum is developing an educational program that will offer educational and cultural activities that will be centered on sports, for the benefit of students and the sports oriented public. The Museum will create a documentation center, through the collection of historic written and visual information of Puerto Rican sports, for the benefit of students and researchers.